5th West Virginia Cavalry
The 5th West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry was formed from the
2nd West Virginia Volunteer Infantry January 26, 1864. The men
were from a wide area including Ohio, Wetzel, Taylor, and Ritchie
counties. The 5th Cavalry then became part of the 6th West Virginia
Cavalry on December 14, 1864.
- Cloyd's Mountain, May 9, 1864
- New River Bridge, May 10, 1864
- Lynnchburg, June 17-18, 1864.
Leading Edge -
27.5 Fly - 40
The flag is constructed in the pattern of a U.S. cavalry swallowtail
guidon of one layer of silk. The blue canton measures approximately
14" by 15" and rests on the eighth (white) stripe. The canton
is decorated with 35 five pointed stars that measure 1.25" point
to point. The stars are arranged in two concentric circles with
19 stars in the outer circle, 12 in the inner circle and one star
in each corner. The stars are applied with a gold colored pigment.
The fly has thirteen red and white silk stripes measuring approximately
2-2.25" in width. The flag is hand sewn throughout.
Will be displayed in the W V Independence Hall Exhibit